openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Greetings! Introduction and question about hardware s

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Greetings! Introduction and question about hardware support
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:52:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Devin,

No, you don't need any particular video card to use OpenEXR's half format.
You don't need a video card at all, in fact.

Because OpenEXR's half and Nvidia's half are the same, it is possible to
process OpenEXR half values directly on an Nvidia GPU (FX class or
better).  ATI's 16-bit format is not exactly the same as OpenEXR's, but
could be made to work as long as you don't care about preserving
denormals.

-dwh-