pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:41:34 -0700

On Friday 01 November 2002 10:02, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 08:46:37AM -0800, Charles Kerr wrote:
> > The startup time is due to Pan walking through your cache files to find
> > out what you've got there.  I suppose we could store these message-ids in
> > a file and use that instead of walking through the cache directories.
> > That should make Pan start up immediately regardless of the cache size...
>
> what about starting the GUI, and walking the cache with another thread
> running in the background?
>
> as I understand these things, that would let you bring up the GUI, and
> while you couldn't get a display of data right away, the user would at
> least see a response to their action, and it would 'seem' faster.

That is essentially what newer PANs do.  (Don't remember whether it was the
0.12 or 0.13 series that changed it, but that is the way it works, now.)

It does create possible timing issues, however, including one which is
certainly apparent as currently implimented -- if you start up PAN with a
large cache, and then enter a group, it will show all the headers it should,
but will show only the messages it has had time to load, as cached.  If you
then leave the group, and come back, there will be more messages displayed as
cached.  Eventually, it will show all the cached messages.

This isn't a big issue if you have auto-d/l upon entering a group, off, as I
do, and recognize what is going on.  However, with it on, it can create some
confusion, as it can for users that don't realize what is happening.

I was the one that requested (and got) the maximum cache size increase from 1
G, to 20 G.  I don't use that, but I do have mine set for 4 G, and was having
problems with messages disappearing b4 I could read them, at the 1 G size,
d/ling more than a G in a session at times (cable modem connection =:^).  I
had been manually setting the cache size, in the config file, but found it
resetting occasionally, when I changed something in the GUI settings, and
lost a bunch of cache several times.  Thus, I was rather upset, when it
seemed to be doing that again, with the faster load time and the larger
cache, until I realized it was just loading the messages in the background,
and hadn't gotten them loaded yet.  It wasn't erasing already d/led messages
before I could get to them, as it had with the smaller cache.

Anyway, with the size of cache I operate with, often 2+ gigs, its certainly
noticable on my 1.2 GHz Athlon, w/ a 7200 RPM ATA 100, 100G hard drive. (I
have a couple smaller drives as well, but they hold my legacy MSWormOS
installation, which I haven't booted in months.  The newer 100 G drive is
100% Linux, ReiserFS formatted, in several separate partitions, of course.)

BTW...  on the ATA 100 and 133 topic...  A single drive isn't going to even do
half of that, as people have noted, except for the usually 2-8M of
drive-cached data.  When it is actually coming off the disk, not out of
drive-cache, 40-some MB/sec isn't to bad.  The newer ATA bus transfer levels
do come into play, however, if you've two drives and are accessing them both,
as would be the case with RAID.  In that case, the older ATA 66 and slower
specs are potentially slowing things down, seriously, when you get to  UDMA
33s and slower, as that won't even handle the output of a single drive, any
more.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin