pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Downloading next N headers

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Downloading next N headers
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:58:35 -0800

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 03:55:48AM -0800, Rico wrote:
> Hello All!
> Pan is some awesome piece of beautiful code. Just for fun I've been working on
> this feature that I like from O.E. It was brought up before. Could you
> guys have a look at the following? I would really appreciate some comments.
> What would be the pro's and con's of such a feature? [Actually, it's not so
> undesirable since Haran mentioned how the current way of downloading just a
> sample of N _new_ headers is sometimes limiting... ]
>
> To note: - version of index increased from 12 to 13 to accomodate new data
>            member in struct _Group, i.e last_old_fetched
>          - activating a group on mouse click downloads up to 600 headers by
>            default
>          - a single request for N headers from "More Download Options"
> triggers
>            _two_ downloads, second one always downloads 600. Why?
>            [ suspecting modification made in set_group_mainthread_end() but
>              haven't nailed it down after tracing through ]
>
> Thanks for any input.
> Rico.

Hi Rico,

This looks pretty nice.  If I'm reading it right, the first sample will get
the latest N articles, then a second fetch will get the next oldest set, and
so on, which is a really nice idea.

Please bump SAMPLE_SIZE_DEFAULT into task-headers.h so that
articlelist, dialog_headers, and task-headers.c can all use the
same definition.

Commenting the new code in task-headers.c::task_get_header_range() to
explain what the different states are, and what will happen from them,
would also be nice.

Lastly, making the patch against 0.13.3.93 instead of 0.13.3 would be nice. :)

In all though, I really like this idea.

cheers,
Charles