pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Move to database back-end

From: Nathan Morell
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Move to database back-end
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:24:34 -0600

Tom Enterline wrote:

We definitely need a vision. In the near term, it wouldn't surprise me
if the version of PAN that implements the new backend had few
user-visible changes - the new backend will involve substantial changes
on it's own. Of course, once that's in place, other changes become much
easier.
Tom

For a little while last night I though about the best possible Data Structure to use for large binary news groups. I would like to throw this out to everybody and get some general input on the subject.

A B or B(+|-) tree, of linked lists. Where the first node on the linked list contains information like the Sender, Subject, and a few other things. I though of this because I was annoyed with PAN's huge memory footprint and have used other newsreaders that don't take up as much, this led me to believe PAN wasn't using the best possible memory management. If we move to SQLite, (I'm not a huge DB guy) will this allow us to use data structures like the one mentioned above. Although not as in detail, I'm sure something could be done to keep the sort times and memory footprint low.

thanks in advance,
--Nathan