pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Various problems when launching pan CVS (bis repetita)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Various problems when launching pan CVS (bis repetita)
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 19:47:06 -0700

GISQUET Christophe posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sat, 09 Jul 2005 01:15:51 +0200:

> Now, those problems should have their own topic, and I already sent them
> to this very list. But, fact is that I had not a single comment on both.
> So I guess I should apologize in advance for taking again anybody's time
>   to review those problems... Notwhistanding a proposed new feature
> presented in [3] with associated code, that is.

Well, the fact is that MS platforms (such as they may be) aren't the
primary development platform for PAN.  Many participants in this group may
not have MSWormOS installed at all.  Personally, there's a serious
question of whether I could install it at all, legally, depending on
whether EULAs are considered legally binding or not, as I could no longer
agree to the MS EULA.

Given that status, it's unlikely anyone "in the know" is seriously focused
on MSWormOS development with the CVS version at this point.  Your messages
related to that, therefore, are appreciated as status updates, and may
well be taken into account when a stable *ix version is released and focus
returns to MSWormOS to some degree, but aren't likely to get any immediate
response, because the focus is elsewhere at the moment.

Actually, not to speak for Charles, here, but I've gotten the impression
that he's interested in keeping an MSWormOS port, and further, that he has
at times been frustrated by the lack of direct involvement by others in
what is, after all, an open source project.  If you are willing to
dedicate the necessary time and personal resources to being the MS
platforms pointman developer and have the necessary skillset (as it
appears you might), it's quite likely he and Chris would be happy to have
you in that capacity.  Otherwise, until someone steps up to take that
position, it's likely that PAN on the MS platforms will remain a poor
second cousin, so to speak, of PAN on Unix.  That the possibility exists
is because Charles (and the other GTK folk) considered it important enough
to make it so.  However, that rather different from being able to focus on
it as a co-equal or even lead platform.  Until a volunteer steps up that's
willing to dedicate the required time, energy, and resources, and has the
required skillset, it's simply not going to happen.  That's the
unfortunate (for MSWormOS users anyway) reality.  Of course, there are
many other news clients focused primarily or exclusively on MSWormOS, if
you prefer.