pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: PAN install problems

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: PAN install problems
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 01:15:15 -0700

Jeff Vian posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:54:43 -0500:

> I used pan regularly some time back and loved it.
>
> Today I decided to install the latest and try it again but it will not
> install.
>
> My system is Athalon XP 3000+ with 1GB memory and plenty of drive space,
> running Fedora Core 4 fully updated with gnome as my desktop of
> preference.

FC4 will almost certainly be running Gnome 2.x.

> The first command does this:
> address@hidden pan-0.11.4]$ ./configure [snip]

That pan version number tells the story.  That's the latest Gnome *1*
version (which is still quite old, as Gnome 1 hasn't been current for
some time, and neither is the Gnome 1 version). Naturally, the Gnome2
stuff doesn't work for it.

Try PAN 0.14.2, latest full-stable, 0.14.2.91, latest released version
(unstable, but over a year old and not /really/ unstable), or install from
CVS if you want the newest "alpha" version, with some major changes (much
better memory handling, for one), but also a few "interesting" bugs (but
not too many).

I'm running 0.14.2.91 installed from tarball, but there should be FC/RH
RPMs for it, if you prefer.

Note that RH/Fedora normally splits "development" lib packages from what
you'd normally need to install a binary, the runtime binaries only.  Lack
of the Gnome-1-libs development package(s) may be why you are having
troubles installing the Gnome-1 version from tarball (thus, compiled, not
binary), even with the Gnome-1-libs binaries installed.  However, as
explained above, you probably don't want that old a version anyway, but
rather, the GTK-2.x version (it no longer requires all of Gnome, just
GTK+-2.x).  If you install from tarball, you'll probably need the GTK+-2
development package(s) as well as the binary library packages, but it's
possible you already have them installed.

So, to sum up, try a PAN-0.14.2 or 0.14.2.91 version, using GTK+2, rather
than the old Gnome-1 PAN-0.11.4.  RPMs should be available, but if you
choose to install from tarball, you may need the development library
packages as well as the binary/runtime packages of the library
dependencies.  Of course, you should be able to install the old Gnome-1
PAN version if you want, but since you are running a modern distrib, FC4,
unless you have some specific reason to want the old PAN version, you
probably want the newer PAN, as well.