pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: CVS version and download speed

From: robert mcdonald
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: CVS version and download speed
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

The fix: change SECONDS_TO_SLEEP_ON_EAGAIN (found in
pan/nntp.c) to something lower (I got 150KB/s at the
default [0.75], I reduced it to 0.1 and got 800+KB/s).

The explanation: Each time the buffer is exhausted,
GIOChannel returns an EAGAIN (G_IO_STATUS_AGAIN) and
we wait SECONDS_TO_SLEEP_ON_EAGAIN before retrying the
read. This results in a ton of time where we're not
reading any data at all, killing our throughput.

0.75 seems like an eternity to me, but it might be a
reasonable setting on a slow network (dialup?).