pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] 0.92 threading & GtkTreeViews

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] 0.92 threading & GtkTreeViews
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:05:51 -0500

Christophe Lambin wrote:
0.92 (and probably the other 0.9x beta; didn't check) seems to sometimes mess up its threading. As an example, take the thread 'VPN and VNC for
embedded software porting development' in comp.os.linux.misc.

Pan threads this as follows:

(1) <address@hidden>
+---> (2) <address@hidden>
+-+-> (3) <address@hidden>
  +---> (4) <address@hidden>
  +---> (5) <address@hidden>

The problem is that (2) is displayed as a child of (1). However, (2)'s
References header is:

So, (2) should really be a child of (5).

This is a fairly simple example, but I see many cases of this problem.

I looked at this today and narrowed the possibilities a little bit.
You will probably find that the References header for (2) in
/.pan2/groups/comp.os.linux.misc is corrupted, so the bug is somewhere
in data-impl -- either in the initial threading or in writing
References -- but probably not in the GtkTreeView.

Different subject: grouplists and articlelist are now GtkTreeViews,
which we've wanted to do for a long time. One drawback (IMO) is that
TreeViews put a lot more whitespace between rows. This means fewer
articles can fit on the screen. In that sense, I preferred the old
CTrees.  The attached patch reduced the whitespace by setting the ypad
property header & group pane to zero, making the panes equivalent to
0.14.x.

Any opinions on this ?

IMO this is too narrow.  Maybe I've just gotten used to the new widget.
The default value is 2 and you're proposing 0; how about we split the
difference and make a padding of 1? ;)