pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Launching attachments on Windows?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Launching attachments on Windows?
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 22:42:04 +0000 (UTC)

Darren Albers <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 03 Feb 2007
13:26:58 -0500:

> Should we protect users and not allow certain filetypes to be opened from
> within Pan?  For example executables, scripts etc...   For windows this
> would be easy if the file ends in exe, cmd, bat, scr etc pop up a message
> saying that Pan does not open Executable files and that they should be
> scanned for viruses before being opened.   How do we handle this under Mac
> OS and Linux?

That's one reason I had suggested simply feeding it to the browser.  That
way, the browser deals with it, and one would /hope/ the browser is sanely
configured as to what it opens and what it doesn't.  Not that I'd really
trust IE, but if that's what folks have for their browser...

Don't nearly all browsers handle URIs of the file:/// type?  (That won't
be treated as local/trusted zone on IE, I hope?)  And Charles already has
pan setup with browser detection/configuration for each platform.