pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] [patch] Accommodating Giganews users ( 20-50 connections

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] [patch] Accommodating Giganews users ( 20-50 connections)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 16:03:49 -0400

On Monday 05 September 2011 12:40, Heinrich Müller wrote:
> I guess the only advantage of simultaneous connections would be
> if pan handled multiple downloads (multiple files) at the same time,
> which it doesn't atm.
> Perhaps in the future it will, who knows? ;)

Well, this is a practical consideration, not a theoretical one.  Pan may
not support downloading multiple files at a time, but it does support
downloading multiple parts of the same file at the same time, and the
benefits are great.

As I posted on 5 July, using 4 connections resulted in a large file
downloading twice as fast as with a single connection, and using 10
connections was about 5 times faster.  I even did the single connection
test last to eliminate any "news server caching articles and making later
tests faster" issues.  So there's the advantage of simultaneous
connections.  Maybe your test would be different, assuming you have a news
server that supports multiple connections.  For me, multiple connections is
markedly faster.

I haven't repeated the test with 20 or 50 connections, but since GNKSA's
limit is 4, all I needed to do in order to show that GNKSA compliance is a
bug was demonstrate that any n > 4 produced a significantly better result
than n = 4.

Rob