pan-devel

[Pan-devel] having compile problems with your GIT 566616f master (Re: AN

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-devel] having compile problems with your GIT 566616f master (Re: ANN: SSL Support)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:12:00 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I just did a fresh clone of your latest GIT master (at 566616f).
Got these 'make' errors due to several missing files at github:

[PWD is pan/icons]
$ make -w -k
make: Entering directory
`/Volumes/RamDisk/Safari/pan2_sslcerts_try4_judgefudge_master/pan/icons'
make: *** No rule to make target `icon_status_online.png', needed by
`pan-pixbufs-internal.h'.
make: *** No rule to make target `icon_status_offline.png', needed by
`pan-pixbufs-internal.h'.
make: *** No rule to make target `icon_status_active.png', needed by
`pan-pixbufs-internal.h'.
make: *** No rule to make target `icon_status_queue_empty.png', needed by
`pan-pixbufs-internal.h'.
make: *** No rule to make target `icon_status_error.png', needed by
`pan-pixbufs-internal.h'.
make: *** No rule to make target `icon_status_idle.png', needed by
`pan-pixbufs-internal.h'.
make: *** No rule to make target `icon_status_new_articles.png', needed by
`pan-pixbufs-internal.h'.
make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make: Leaving directory
`/Volumes/RamDisk/Safari/pan2_sslcerts_try4_judgefudge_master/pan/icons'

Cannot continue from this point because pan-pixbufs-internal.h is
not created, and it is needed further on down the regular 'make'
process therein.  ;)

…

BTW I never installed libnotify, so I left it disabled during the
configure phase here, altho libnotify should work if required.
FWIW,
OSX users usually use an app called Growl (www.growl.info) to do
pop-ups from various other apps etc using OSX's own notification
subsystem.  But Growl recently went from freeware to co$tware in
its latest version, which is (only) available at the MacAppStore
(don't get me started about more fruity control over this
platform).  [Previous versions of Growl are still freely available
and open-source.]
"Normal" OSX users don't give a flip about any sort of *ix/X11
(non-'native') apps e.g. those that might benefit from libnotify.
`sigh`
All more big reasons I'm trying to jump off this fruity ship.

Another BTW,
Using the quartz-wm windowing manager (and perhaps others), our
X11 windows can be minimized with the standard OSX mechanisms.
So we've _already_ been doing sorta like "systray icon" stuff  :p
but not _entirely_ like Gnome would handle I'm sure.
But I'd like to see what the new code might offer here.

At any rate,
I'm still gonna be trying to jump off this fruity ship ASAP.