pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] OpenSSL and the GPL: License problems

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] OpenSSL and the GPL: License problems
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 03:33:35 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:49:27 -0800 as excerpted:

> On 12/18/2011 10:15 AM, Duncan wrote:
>
> <wholesale snippage with apologies to Duncan's carpal tunnels>
>
>> But for binary distros including both the big guys like Fedora and
>> Ubuntu, and binary-based distros based on source-based distros like
>> Sabayon (based on Gentoo), it's an ENTIRELY different matter!  They
>> won't be able to ship pan binaries with OpenSSL support as that'd
>> violate pan's GPL, which is the only thing giving them the legal right
>> to distribute pan binaries.
>
> I just booted up my virtualbox install of kubuntu to see how they handle
> this problem.  (I use it just to keep up with kde's changes.)
>
> For example, they install a binary package of openssl (as I suspect most
> other binary distributions do also) and they include a file named
> /usr/share/doc/openssl/copyright.bz2 which contains a copy of the
> openssl credits demanded by the license.
>
> Couldn't they also install such a file in /usr/share/doc/pan to satisfy
> the openssl license?  I don't know what other binary distros do about
> their packages that use openssl.

Yes, that'd satisfy the openssl license, but satisfying the openssl
license isn't the problem.  The problem is the gpl under which pan itself
is licensed, as it bans additional restrictions and the advertising
clause is exactly that, an additional restriction.  The openssl binaries
can ship along with the pan binaries, as long as the pan binaries don't
link the openssl binaries.  As soon as they do, that's a violation of
pan's GPL and distribution of the binaries is no longer allowed.

Note however that the GPL is very specific in NOT applying to USE, only
distribution.  Thus, a user getting the source can compile binaries and
use them just fine.  They just can't distribute those binaries.

And changing pan's license by adding the exception, option #5, isn't
simple either, because in ordered to legally change pan's license, all
copyright holders must agree to the change.  Since pan has never required
copyright assignment to accept patches, that means that beyond some level
of triviality (where that line is drawn isn't settled, but it's
presumably somewhere between one line and a few hundred lines of source
code), every source contributor must sign onto the change, or the code
they contributed must be rewritten by someone who does agree to the
change.

It's also likely that the authors of pan's dependencies, gtk, glib, etc,
would have to sign on too, if the proposed exception isn't already in
line with the license of the dependency.  (gtk+ and glib at least are
LGPL, which should be fine as long as we aren't modifying gtk+ code,
which we aren't.  Other libraries... someone would need to check.)

> I know that you know that all the BSD's would be up shit creek without
> gcc and the autotools, so I don't think they have much room to complain,
> really.

You'd be surprised...  And that's one reason why all the interest in llvm,
clang, etc, as they're quite interested in ridding themselves of that
thorn in their flesh that the FSF and gcc, etc, have (from their
perspective) been to them.

> In Real Life, isn't the whole fuss really about linking to closed-source
> binaries?

In real life, the whole fuss is about not getting sued. =:^(

And the legal line the GPL draws is between licenses with more
restrictions than it, which it bans linking to, and those with less,
which it is fine with.  Thus it's fine with the MIT and two-clause BSD
style licenses, but incompatible with three-clause BSD style licenses,
because that extra clause is an advertising restriction more restrictive
than the GPL, which isn't allowed by the GPL, so linking between GPLed
code and 3-clause BSD code is not allowed either.

The caveat, of course, is that it takes someone with copyright interest
in the code in question to sue violators (or just go after them until
they quit with the violation, sometimes with an often confidential
settlement for past damage as well), and sometimes, they choose to look
the other way, instead.  But while individuals and small distros often
get away with such violations for a few years, once a distro gets above a
certain size, they are a big enough target and there's enough money at
stake that they tend to be be very careful about licenses.

> I've been reading mailing list threads about GPL issues for years and I
> still don't really understand what they're arguing about :-/

Within limits, I believe I usually understand the arguments.  And given
that from my viewpoint the GPL is sort of like the constitution of the
free as in freedom software movement, the guarantee of the software
freedoms I live by every day, I take a rather deeper interest in this
sort of thing than most.  But it takes a particular degree of patience
and mental discipline to follow the logic step by step, that most folks
don't have.