pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Download time/size estimate broken/negative Was: I need to c

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Download time/size estimate broken/negative Was: I need to check and/or request three features
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 01:30:05 +0000 (UTC)

Rob posted on Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:52:30 -0700 as excerpted:

> and while we are on the subject of PAN problems, sometime a few months
> back the estimated download time and size display became broken,
> displaying wildly errratic and sometime huge negative numbers in the
> display.  Grab 100 or so RAR files and block save them.  Then add 100 or
> so more to the queue while processing the first batch.  You should see
> really bogus values on the download status window.  Thing is, this used
> to work flawlessly, but now does not...and I cannot trace it to a change
> in PAN itself, but possibly a change in a third party support library?

That sounds like a signed/unsigned long-int bug, with sizes overflowing
into the signed-bit.  Are you perhaps running 32-bit pan and regularly
queuing for download > 2 GiB worth at a time?

64-bit long-long-ints shouldn't be running into that issue yet (and for
several more years anyway =:^), so if it's happening with 64-bit pan (and
thus 64-bit libs), it's either something else or we've a rather
interesting bug indeed, but queuing 2+ GiB of downloads and triggering a
signed-int-overflow bug on 32-bit is very possible, even likely if the
code hasn't been adjusted for that possibility yet, and that would
explain why this is the first report of it I've seen on the pan lists as
well, since I'd guess most users are 64-bit these days, at least those
doing serious binary downloading.

And in addition to 32-bit/64-bit, what distro are you running, and are
you building pan yourself (from git or tarball) or using the distro
supplied version?  And while I've not verified, I'm guessing that would
be gmime functionality, so what version(s) of gmime/libgmime are you
running and distro-supplied or self-built?

(For comparison, tho I don't do too much with binaries and likely
wouldn't have seen this bug, here's that info for me:

Gentoo/~amd64 so 64-bit, pan built from live-git from the commit visible
in my headers since I'm posting with it via gmane, gmime-2.6.20 from
gentoo.)