[paragui-users] thoughts on threads and some updates on my "pango" proje

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: [paragui-users] thoughts on threads and some updates on my "pango" project
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:39:42 -0800 (PST)

threads - many environments HAVE threads but there's lots of finicky
rules.

IMHO paragui's got some -bad- issues with threads.  One of the chiefest is
to crash a paragui app quickly on most X machines, run it with rendering
in multiple threads...

I suspect Windows has issues too.

This is a warning to those out there hoping that paragui can solve
threading issues - it can't.  It DOES run happily multithreaded, just
don't do any rendering outside of the main thread if you expect your app
to run most places.

Oh - fbcon seems to nicely handle threading just for what it's worth.

that probably doesn't answer anyone's questions and NO I haven't looked
into this too closely - that's next :)

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis

PS: in the devel-opengl branch under plugins/pango, there's a pango
demonstration that works quite nicely for me - although I still haven't
tried it in fbcon.