pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Expanation, please?

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Expanation, please?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:53:10 +0200

Hi Gustavo.

    What does this mean?

This basically means that the FSF does no longer consider GNU PDF a
high-priority project.  This is because other projects already covered
some of the issues that motivated this project, namely: support for
interactive PDF facilities and the lack of a GPLv3 implementation.  Now
poppler supports many of the interactive stuff, and both ghostscript and
xpdf are distributed under the GPLv3.

I got consulted about this and did not object to the removal of the
project from the list.  I also advised to not do a press release like
the one you read, but without success.  The high-priority list is now
the bussiness of the FSF.  It is up to them to decide what to list and
what not.

I reckon the FSF communicate may be confusing.  It is obvious that the
project is not "done" at all and that not all the issues motivating it
have been solved.  We still want to provide a GPLv3+ library
implementing a stack equivalent to the Acrobat SDK, even if we are no
longer in the top-ten list of the FSF.

Hope this clarified the situation.

--
Jose E. Marchesi    address@hidden