pgubook-readers

About Buffer Size Restriction

From: Kenan Kartal
Subject: About Buffer Size Restriction
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:53:15 +0300

Hello,

In Chapter 5. Dealing with Files - Using Files in a Program; the buffer
size in the bss section is suggested to never exceed 16000 for various
reasons. What might those reasons be?

I like the reading so far. I am writing it for x86_64; so, I presume
this restriction doesn't apply. Only thing I have found on my machine
(Linux + GNU on x86_64) is that `read` accepts `SSIZE_MAX` which is
`INT_MAX`. However, I would still appreciate the reasoning for the
original restriction.

Sincerely,

--
Kenan Kartal