poke-devel

[RFC] Converging to a 1.0 release - Roadmap

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: [RFC] Converging to a 1.0 release - Roadmap
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 18:32:14 +0100

Hi people!

I'm happy to say that poke's development is going well.  We are steadily
progressing in terms of functionality, stability, testing,
documentation.  Many thanks to the contributors for this!

There is still a lot of work to do, but I think it is time to start
focusing on a first release.  This first release doesn't have to provide
all the planned functionality (like gradual typing in the language,
callback-based remapping, growing structures, support for big numbers,
transactions in IOS, etc) but whatever it provides, it should be robust
and functional.

In my usual optimism, I am to target this first release for beginning of
May :)

We need to make a categorized list of functionality and tasks to be
completed before the release.  My initial suggestion is below.

What else should we include?

Language features
-----------------

l1 - struct constructors.
l2 - Exceptions as structs.
l3 - Complex maps in l-values.
l4 - Equality for arrays and structs.
l5 - Initial values in struct fields (int i = 20;)
l6 - ++ and -- pre/post increment operators for ints and offsets
l7 - bit concatenation in l-values
l8 - "Integral" structs.
l9 - Bit operators in offsets.

Compiler
--------

c1 - Get rid of valmappers
c2 - Big arrays support
c3 - Lexical revamp

PVM work
--------

IOS work
--------

io1 - stream IOD (input/output)
io2 - ptrace IOD
io3 - poke translator IOD
io4 - pread/pwrite like interface in IOS-IOD

Documentation work

d1 - Introductory chapters in the manual