pupa-devel

PPC port of PUPA

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: PPC port of PUPA
Date: 31 Dec 2003 20:00:23 +0100

Hi,

Today I have started to work on the PPC (newworld powermac) port of
PUPA.  It should not be too hard to do (compared to the pc version).
I already have a prompt on the screen (I wrote the terminal driver),
etc.

I think that we need a "TERM" variable in PUPA.  This can be set to
vt100, ansi, etc.  For example the powerbooks firmware emulates an
ansi console.  For serial we need some terminal support too.  I will
have a look at how this was done in GRUB soon.

The disk access won't be too hard to do.  I'm unsure how difficult it
will be to port the loaders.

What really bothers me is conf/*.rmk.  Open Firmware can load ELF
files so it is not required to install PUPA on a bootsector.  To me it
seems that the current build scripts are pc only and has no support
for such situations.  Okuji, can you please point me into the right
direction with these buildscripts?

I think I've also found a bug while crosscompiling.  I used
"./configure --host=powerpc-elf", but this didn't work.  After this
small change it did:

In configure.ac:

# For cross-compiling.
if test "x$build" = "x$host"; then
  BUILD_CC="$CC"
  AC_SUBST(BUILD_CC)
else
  AC_CHECK_PROGS(BUILD_CC, [gcc egcs cc],
                 [AC_MSG_ERROR([none of gcc, egcs and cc is found. set BUILD_CC
manually.])])
fi

Changed into:

# For cross-compiling.
if test "x$build" = "x$host"; then
  AC_CHECK_PROGS(BUILD_CC, [gcc egcs cc],
                 [AC_MSG_ERROR([none of gcc, egcs and cc is found. set BUILD_CC
manually.])])
else
  BUILD_CC="$CC"
  AC_SUBST(BUILD_CC)
fi

Was this my mistake or was it really a bug?  I'm really unsure if this
fix (more like a hack) was correct.

I hope to have something working really soon.  Would you like small
patches every time or one huge patch? :)

Is there anything I should know about the ppc port or Open Firmware?
(Does someone know about some nasty bugs or where to find
documentation?  It seems there is no free documentation available :().

Thanks,
Marco