pypdflib-dev

[pypdflib-dev] Pypdflib and fonts

From: Murthy Raju
Subject: [pypdflib-dev] Pypdflib and fonts
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:17:19 +0530

Hi,

I was looking at scripts_test.py in the tests directorty of pypdflib
source. I have noticed that, for sections related to some scripts,
font name is mentioned, while it is not mentioned for some other
scripts.  I have a couple of questions in this connection:

1. How does pypdflib choose the font when it is not mentioned
explicitly? I have noticed that the pdf file generated has Lohit-Hindi
and Lohit-Bengali bundled, Which means the font is chosen and bundled
automatically. Is there any doc that explains the process of automatic
choice of fonts?

2. When there is a para with text in several indic scripts, what is
the best practice for declaring the fonts?

3. Is it possible to declare font-script mapping once globally, to
handle paras with text in several scripts more gracefully?

4. An unrelated question - In the output pdf generated by running
scripts_test.py, I notice that the line spacing in Tamil text is much
more than the line spacing for other scripts. Has this something to do
with the font?

Thanks and Regards,
Murthy Raju