qcow2 replication?

From: Hans Kaiser
Subject: qcow2 replication?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 08:00:36 +0200

Hi there,
I am new to this list and hopefully I place my query properly.

I am looking for a way how I could replicate qcow2 images atop of snapshots between nodes.
So to have a fully replicated state of a VM on another nodes.

Is there a inbuilt option to do so?

I am comming from vmware there it was possible to replicate the vmdk file and the snapshot files. And all together are a set which worked out of the box to replicate.
So you could simply copy the files and you had a equal state atop of the snapshot basis.
So I could do a live replication along with the option to do async replications by simply rsyncing the files to an slower storage.

Also my question is how the qcow2 snapshots are handled. I cannot see any files for the qcow2 if I create a snapshot. Where are the snapshots stored?

best wishes
Hans