qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Something is probably wrong with "int 3"

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Something is probably wrong with "int 3"
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:35:11 -0200

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:09:32 +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov
<address@hidden> wrote:
> clearly state that the fault is at the "int 3" instruction, not at "ret".
> Can anyone explain this difference? Is this a bug in qemu?

Uh... INT 3 is the debugger services interrupt. It usually triggers a
resident debugger so it attaches to the calling process.

It might be that Firefox reached a situation where it knew it would
crash, so it called the debugger first and then failed returning to an
invalid address (maybe the stack was corrupt?)

Anyway, I don't think that QEMU handles INT 3 at all; the fault must
be somewhere else. Are you absolutely sure your Firefox build isn't
calling MMX/SSE instructions? Is it a contributed build or is it
official?

--
"The user-friendly computer is a red herring. The user-friendliness of
a book just makes it easier to turn pages. There's nothing