qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecation policy and build dependencies

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecation policy and build dependencies
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 17:02:46 -0500

On 6/5/19 3:49 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:

>>> If we clarify the docs in QEMU 4.1, is there anything that
>>> prevents us from removing Python 2 support in QEMU 4.1 too?
>>
>> My take (but not definitive): if we have any CI setups that are testing
>> RHEL 7 without software collections and/or EPEL, then save Python 2
>> removal for 4.2 to give us time to update CI setups. But if all of our
>> CI setups are already fine, and we clarify the docs, then I'm all for
>> getting rid of Python 2 support in 4.1.
>
> If we do this soon, CI system owners will have at least 9 weeks
> to fix them before 4.1.0 is released.
>

>> Similarly, if we are going to outlaw in-tree builds, let's get that done
>> in 4.1 instead of waiting yet another release.
>
> I'm missing the context on this.  Is this from a separate discussion?

Yes, separate threads (for example, this one:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-03/msg02553.html),
but related in that it is a build change that would affect existing
development and CI. If we're going to make life harder by pulling the
plug on old ways, we might as well pull the plug on multiple things at once.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226