qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecation policy and build dependencies

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecation policy and build dependencies
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:19:46 +0100

On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 03:42:39PM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 6/5/19 3:13 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
>
> >> IOW, I don't think RHEL-7 support as a build platform blocks us from
> >> dropping py2. We merely need to tweak our build platforms doc to clarify
> >> our intent wrt add-on yum repos.
> >
> > If we clarify the docs in QEMU 4.1, is there anything that
> > prevents us from removing Python 2 support in QEMU 4.1 too?
>
> My take (but not definitive): if we have any CI setups that are testing
> RHEL 7 without software collections and/or EPEL, then save Python 2
> removal for 4.2 to give us time to update CI setups. But if all of our
> CI setups are already fine, and we clarify the docs, then I'm all for
> getting rid of Python 2 support in 4.1.

The centos7 dockerfile will need to add the extra repo to pull
this in. I don't see any issue with that getting fixed in this
cycle.

As for any CI maintained by third parties outside QEMU tree,
they'll just have to adapt themselves. It is not difficult to
add repos, so again I don't see a big reason to delay. If we
delay chances are they won't bother to update their CI at all
until we make the py3 change in 4.2 anyway.

> Similarly, if we are going to outlaw in-tree builds, let's get that done
> in 4.1 instead of waiting yet another release.

I don't think there was any hard objection, someone just needs to write
the patch...

Regards,
Daniel