qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-discuss] qemu-io-cmds does not compile on macOS

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-discuss] qemu-io-cmds does not compile on macOS
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 10:14:00 +0100

Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 at 16:22, Juan Rafael García Blanco
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I think the latest changes to qemu-io-cmds.c make it impossible to compile
>> under macOS. It now uses clock_gettime, which is not available in this OS.
>> I’m using 10.9.5; I think this function is now included in 10.12.
>>
>> I would step up to try to prepare a patch that uses a replacement in case it
>> is being compiled in a macOS version that does not include that function.
>> But I do not know if you want to support these ‘old' macOS versions…
>
> Hi; thanks for this report. (This kind of bug report is better sent
> to qemu-devel or to the launchpad bug tracker -- qemu-discuss
> is mostly user-to-user conversations, and developers tend to
> be on -devel; I've cc'd -devel on this.)
>
> Our official support policy is that we support building with the
> two most recent versions of macOS; in practice we might support
> building with some earlier versions; as of commit 5588840ff77800e839
> we definitely dropped support for anything earlier than 10.10.
> So in theory we don't strongly care about anything before 10.13
> at the moment; but if it's easy to avoid the problem it might be
> worth doing that.
>
> Alex, it looks like the relevant commit was one of yours.

Which commit was that?

> Could you have a look at how easy it would be to support
> systems without clock_gettime/CLOCK_MONOTONIC ?
> I notice that other places in QEMU have #ifdeffery for
> a lack of CLOCK_MONOTONIC, so we should ideally be
> consistent, and either support systems without it, or else
> say we require it and remove the remaining legacy ifdefs...

Ahh was this the changes to qemu-iocmds to use proper monotonic clocks
to avoid /0 that was occuring with gettimeofday?

In the main code we have comments about:

        /* XXX: using gettimeofday leads to problems if the date
           changes, so it should be avoided. */

Is this the only option for old MacOS?

--
Alex Bennée