qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] [RFC] nvme: how to support multiple namesp

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] [RFC] nvme: how to support multiple namespaces
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 06:46:46 +0200

Cc: QOM maintainers in case I'm talking nonsense about QOM.

Klaus Birkelund <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 07:51:29AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Laszlo Ersek <address@hidden> writes:

>> Devices can be wired together without a bus intermediary.  You
>> definitely want a bus when the physical connection you model has one.
>> If not, a bus may be useful anyway, say because it provides a convenient
>> way to encapsulate the connection model, or to support -device bus=...
>>

> I'm not sure how to wire it together without the bus abstraction? So
> I'll stick with the bus for now. It *is* extremely convenient!

As far as I can tell offhand, a common use of bus-less connections
between devices is wiring together composite devices.  Example:

    static void designware_pcie_host_init(Object *obj)
    {
        DesignwarePCIEHost *s = DESIGNWARE_PCIE_HOST(obj);
        DesignwarePCIERoot *root = &s->root;

        object_initialize_child(obj, "root",  root, sizeof(*root),
                                TYPE_DESIGNWARE_PCIE_ROOT, &error_abort, NULL);
        qdev_prop_set_int32(DEVICE(root), "addr", PCI_DEVFN(0, 0));
        qdev_prop_set_bit(DEVICE(root), "multifunction", false);
    }

This creates a TYPE_DESIGNWARE_PCIE_ROOT device "within" the
TYPE_DESIGNWARE_PCIE_HOST device.

Bus-less connections between separate devices (i.e. neither device is a
part of the other) are also possible.  But I'm failing at grep right
now.  Here's an example for connecting a device to a machine:

    static void mch_realize(PCIDevice *d, Error **errp)
    {
        int i;
        MCHPCIState *mch = MCH_PCI_DEVICE(d);

        [...]
        object_property_add_const_link(qdev_get_machine(), "smram",
                                       OBJECT(&mch->smram), &error_abort);
        [...]
    }

Paolo, can you provide guidance on when to use a bus, and when not to?