qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libvhost-user: undefined reference to MADV_NOHUGEPAGE

From: Sandra Loosemore
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libvhost-user: undefined reference to MADV_NOHUGEPAGE
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 23:15:48 -0600

On 8/27/19 9:01 PM, Richard Henderson wrote:
On 8/27/19 6:42 PM, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
Sorry if that was not clear.  The target is aarch64-none-elf with the provided
semihosting facilities in QEMU.  The host is x86_64-linux-gnu. We deliberately
link against a pretty old glibc sysroot (looks like version 2.11.1), but we did
that for last year's 3.0 release as well, and haven't made any other changes in
the configure options etc that we use to build QEMU for this target.

Still not clear.

The combination "glibc" and "qemu semihosting" doesn't make sense.  The triplet
"aarch64-none-elf" is a gcc thing and has no referent in qemu.

Are you building qemu-system-aarch64 for x86_64-linux, using an old x86_64
sysroot?

Yes. We only use this configuration of QEMU as an instruction-set simulator so that we can test cross-compilers and gdb for bare-metal aarch64-none-elf target, using newlib as the target C library and the GDB semihosting support in QEMU for low-level fileio primitives.

BTW, I did not run into this undefined-symbol error when building the equivalent configuration for bare-metal nios2-elf target with the same sysroot and host setup. That target does not build libvhost-user at all.

In any case, glibc 2.11.1 is definitely out of support.  Even CentOS 6 used
2.12 and we don't support that anymore either.  Of the current
long-term-support distros, I believe the oldest version of glibc is CentOS 7
with 2.17.

As recently mentioned in

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-08/msg04514.html

we may accept a small patch with a large comment, but there are no guarantees
how long we will keep such workarounds.

I wouldn't mind just applying a local patch to fix the build. What I'm really trying to do is just get help in understanding what broke this, so I can come up with such a patch to un-break it again.

I encourage you to re-examine why you're carrying around a 10 year old glibc.

We update our host build environment infrequently, and we've still had customers requiring CentOS 6 support until quite recently.

-Sandra