qemu-devel

Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 11:44:37 +0100

Il dom 2 feb 2020, 10:22 Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Am 31.01.2020 um 13:27 hat Eric Blake geschrieben:
> On 1/28/20 6:54 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
>

> > > The arguments as dotted keys:
> > >
> > >      id=bar,backend.type=file,backend.data.out=/tmp/bar.log
> > >
> > > Observe there's quite some of nesting.  While that's somewhat cumbersome
> > > in JSON, it's a lot worse with dotted keys, because there nesting means
> > > repeated key prefixes.  I could give much worse examples, actually.
> >
> > This is true, but even without the repeated keys (e.g. in a syntax that
> > would use brackets), it would still be unnecessarily verbose and
> > probably hard to remember:
> >
> >      id=bar,backend={type=file,data="">
[...] I actually think that a syntax like this might make sense for
something like qmp-shell. It might even be more convenient on the
command line than dotted keys if you get a lot of repetition (despite
the required quoting), but it's strictly speaking incompatible because
you could use {} in strings today.

If you are willing to feed schema info to the parser, in principle you could keep backwards compatibility. There would be limitations such as putting the discriminator before the fields, so I am not sure it's a good idea.

Better QOM introspection would be a requirement, too.

Paolo

Kevin