qemu-devel

Re: VW ELF loader

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: VW ELF loader
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 23:56:31 +0100

Il lun 3 feb 2020, 23:36 Alexey Kardashevskiy <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> What partition formats would have to be supported?

MBR, GPT, is there anything else? "Support" is limited to converting a
number after command to [start, size] couple. I am not going for file
systems.

> But honestly I'm
> more worried about the networking part.

Fair enough.

> Yes, SLOF is big and slow.  petitboot is not petit at all either, and
> has the disadvantage that you have to find a way to run GRUB afterwards.
>  But would a similarly minimal OF implementation (no network, almost no
> interpret so no Forth, device tree built entirely in the host, etc.)
> be just as big and slow?

I doubt. We will be getting rid of unnecessary drivers, bus scanning
code (SCSI, PCI), device tree synchronization.

What I mean is, if you write a firmware that exposes a minimal OF device interface but runs it in the guest, and does a hypercall for everything else, would it be as big and slow as SLOF?

Paolo

--
Alexey