qemu-devel

Re: Summary of Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applicati

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: Summary of Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:56:55 +0000

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 3:54 PM Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> = Ways to provide machine-friendly initial configuration =
>
> Two ways to provide machine-friendly initial configuration on par with
> QMP have been proposed:
>
> 1. Extend QMP
>
>    Machines use the CLI only to configure a QMP socket.  The remainder
>    of the CLI becomes human-only, with much relaxed compatibility rules.
>
> 2. QAPIfy the CLI
>
>    Provide a machine-friendly CLI based on QAPI and JSON.  The current
>    CLI becomes human-only, with much relaxed compatibility rules.

Do we keep the existing CLI around in both cases?  I'm concerned that
we're still following the HMP/QMP approach, which has left QEMU with
the legacy HMP monitor that we still haven't removed.

I'm in favor of simplifying QEMU at the expense of an incompatible CLI
change in QEMU 6.0.

A project like this could prototype incompatible CLI changes in a
separate git tree.  If it achieves the desired unification (CLI, QMP,
configuration file) and simplification (less code, legacy removal)
then it can be merged for an upcoming QEMU major release.

Stefan