qemu-devel

Re: qmp-shell for GSoC/Outreachy?

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: qmp-shell for GSoC/Outreachy?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:59:18 +0100

Am 08.02.2020 um 08:25 hat Markus Armbruster geschrieben:
> John Snow <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 2/6/20 9:21 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> [...]
> >> 2. Rewriting qmp-shell to use a better syntax for nested data
> >>    structures. This would have to be defined before the project starts.
> >>

> > ... Can't start until we define the proper interface, because then we
> > have to support it. Right now, qmp-shell is a developer toy because it's
> > hidden in the tree.
> >
> > Promoting it to prime-time will be fruitless unless we come up with a
> > convincing TUI for it.
>
> Oh, it'll bear fruit alright!  And that will be the problem.
>
> Back to serious: I also object to the idea to expose end users to
> qmp-shell in its current state.  Do not ship.

I don't think anyone suggested making the existing qmp-shell available
by default or shipping it in distro packages or anything. Being able to
configure qemu so that it does offer qmp-shell on a chardev seems like a
reasonable intermediate milestone to me, though. Users won't see this
unless they are actively trying to experiment with it.

Kevin