qemu-devel

Re: VW ELF loader

From: Alexey Kardashevskiy
Subject: Re: VW ELF loader
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:01:26 +1100

On 13/02/2020 21:17, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 13/02/20 02:43, Alexey Kardashevskiy wrote:
>>
>> Ok. So, I have made a small firmware which does OF CI, loads GRUB and
>> instantiates RTAS:
>> https://github.com/aik/of1275
>> Quite raw but gives the idea.
>>
>> It does not contain drivers and still relies on QEMU to hook an OF path
>> to a backend. Is this a showstopper and without drivers it is no go? Thanks,
>
> Yes, it's really the drivers.  Something like netboot wouldn't work for
> example.
>
> I don't have a problem with relying on QEMU for opening and closing OF
> paths, but I really believe that read/write on ihandles should be done
> within the firmware and not QEMU.

Moving read/write to the firmware is not a problem but there is a little
mix up here :)

An ihandle is open from a path and nothing there suggests drivers, it is
up to the ihandle's "read" method what happens next.

If we do PCI drivers in the firmware, then the entire ihandle (==
"opened instance of a phandle") business goes to the firmware and we are
slowly bringing the existing mess back again.

--
Alexey