qemu-devel

RE: Emulating Solaris 10 on SPARC64 sun4u

From: jasper.lowell
Subject: RE: Emulating Solaris 10 on SPARC64 sun4u
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 03:42:09 +0000

Excuse the delay. I believe the reason why I am unable to locate the error
string "Interrupt not seen after set_features" in the OpenSolaris source code
is because it belongs to a proprietary driver that was not distributed with
OpenSolaris. Rather than rely on source code I've had to debug this problem by
observing Solaris 10's behaviour.

I previously linked
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1475/uata-7d.html that seems to
indicate that this error is fatal.
Considering that the CMD646 IDE controller driver experiences a fatal error
during the bootstrapping of the system, I suspect that the file system on the
CDROM might not be accessible.
I'm not sure if this is directly related to the unresponsive serial console but
I wouldn't be surprised.

When configuring devices, Solaris 10 uses the SET_FEATURE command on the CMD646
to set the transfer mode to MDMA mode.
>From what I can tell, this is successful and the emulated IDE controller
>raises an interrupt acknowledging that the command was completed successfully.
>To determine whether or not this interrupt was successfully propagated to
>Solaris 10, I made manual changes to ensure that the interrupt was not raised
>for this event at this specific time. This resulted in a new error from
>Solaris 10 regarding "set_features".
- Solaris 10 appears to be able to see the interrupt from the completion of the
SET_FEATURE command.
- Solaris 10 appears to then perform two reads on the status register. From
what I understand, this has the side effect of clearing interrupts.
- Solaris 10 then writes to the device/head register.
- Solaris 10 then spins on ARTTIM23_INTR_CH1 expecting it to be set. When it is
not set, the operation times out and we are presented with the fatal error
regarding set_features.

I am not intimately familiar with the workings of the CMD646 or the ATA
specification so I can only speculate.
- If the interrupt that Solaris 10 expects is the one from the SET_FEATURE
command, then Solaris 10 is not expecting reading from the status register to
clear ARTTIM23_INTR_CH1.
- If the interrupt that Solaris 10 expects is not the one from the SET_FEATURE
command, then it must expect an interrupt to occur from writing to the
device/head register.

I found it strange that Solaris 10 was spinning on ARTTIM23_INTR_CH1. Is it
possible that Solaris 10 is not expecting the values of ARTTIM23_INTR_CH1 and
MRDMODE_INTR_CH1 to be synced? I made changes to disable the syncing and the
fatal error from Solaris 10 disappeared. Unfortunately, I can't tell whether or
not this actually improved the emulation of Solaris 10 as the serial console is
still unresponsive.

If there is a bug in the Solaris 10 driver I would expect this error to be more
widely referenced online. I suspect that the emulated CMD646 is not perfectly
faithful to the hardware and this is causing problems for Solaris 10.
I am not convinced that this problem is related to IRQ routing as Solaris 10
appears to recognise interrupts when they happen (or don't). Because of this, I
don't think this error is related  to the DMA problem under MorphOS but I could
be wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas that might explain why Solaris 10 insists that
ARTTIM23_INTR_CH1 is set despite two previous reads of the status register?

Thanks,
Jasper Lowell.