qemu-devel

Re: A problem with live migration of UEFI virtual machines

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: A problem with live migration of UEFI virtual machines
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:47:43 +0000

* wuchenye1995 (address@hidden) wrote:

> We found a problem with live migration of UEFI virtual machines due to size
> of OVMF.fd changes.</div><div class=" selfdiv" style="height: 79.6875px;
> width: auto !important;"
> Specifically, the size of OVMF.fd in edk with low version such as edk-2.0-25
> is <b>2MB</b> while the size of it in higher version such as edk-2.0-30 is
> <b>4MB</b>.
>   When we migrate a UEFI virtual machine from the host with low version of
> edk2 to the host with higher one, qemu component will report an error in
> function
> qemu_ram_resize while
>checking size of ovmf_pcbios: Length mismatch: pc.bios: 0x200000 in !=
>0x400000: Invalid argument.
>We want to know how to solve this problem after updating the version of edk2.

When you migrate, you must migrate between identical configurations; so
you need ROM images (including edk2) that are the same size.
There's two answers;
   a) Stick with the same version of the ROM between VMs you want to
migrate
   b) Pad your ROM images to some larger size (e.g. 8MB) so that
even if they grow a little bigger then you don't hit the problem.

Dave
P.S. Please use plain text email