qemu-devel

Re: RFC: Split EPT huge pages in advance of dirty logging

From: Ben Gardon
Subject: Re: RFC: Split EPT huge pages in advance of dirty logging
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:32:42 -0800

FWIW, we currently do this eager splitting at Google for live
migration. When the log-dirty-memory flag is set on a memslot we
eagerly split all pages in the slot down to 4k granularity.
As Jay said, this does not cause crippling lock contention because the
vCPU page faults generated by write protection / splitting can be
resolved in the fast page fault path without acquiring the MMU lock.
I believe +Junaid Shahid tried to upstream this approach at some point
in the past, but the patch set didn't make it in. (This was before my
time, so I'm hoping he has a link.)
I haven't done the analysis to know if eager splitting is more or less
efficient with parallel slow-path page faults, but it's definitely
faster under the MMU lock.