qemu-devel

Re: Debian MinGW cross compilation (was: Re: [PULL 2/3] qga-win32: Add s

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: Debian MinGW cross compilation (was: Re: [PULL 2/3] qga-win32: Add support for NVME but type)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 15:09:56 +0200

Am 03.06.22 um 14:56 schrieb Thomas Huth:

On 24/05/2022 15.38, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 03:28:37PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:

Daniel, do you remember whether we supported Debian for MinGW
cross-compilation in the past?

At one time we used to have Debian with the 3rd party 'mxe' builds
of mingw added. It broke periodically and we deleted it in the
end. It wasn't adding value over what Fedora mingw could provide
as both more or less tracked the same versions of software in
their mingw packages.

I wonder whether anybody still tried to compile with this mxe repo in recent times...? Should we adjust our support statement and just mention Fedora there? Otherwise we should maybe explicitly mention MXE there next to "Debian", too, so that people don't get the impression that QEMU can be compiled with a vanilla MinGW installation on Debian?

 Thomas

My QEMU for Windows builds are all done on Debian. They use the cross tools which are provided in the normal Debian distribution. I don't use the (few) cross libraries from Debian.

Until end of last year, I added library packages from Cygwin (plus a few self compiled libraries, for example for braille support). See https://qemu.weilnetz.de/debian/.

In 2022 I switched to using the library packages from msys (I still have to write some documentation for that).

Stefan