qemu-devel

Re: dbus-display-test is flakey

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: dbus-display-test is flakey
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 00:57:16 +0400

Hi Cole,

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 6:46 PM Cole Robinson <crobinso@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Marc-André,
>
> dbus-display-test seems flakey. I'm occasionally seeing:
>
> ▶ 692/746
> ERROR:../tests/qtest/dbus-display-test.c:68:test_dbus_display_vm:
> assertion failed
> (qemu_dbus_display1_vm_get_name(QEMU_DBUS_DISPLAY1_VM(vm)) ==
> "dbus-test"): (NULL == "dbus-test") ERROR

Quite an interesting error. The generated dbus proxy code is all
gobject async init, but the proxy is created synchronously with
qemu_dbus_display1_vm_proxy_new_sync(), and all cached properties must
have been set at construction time.

And nobody else reported this issue so far, but I also noticed that it
does not seem to be covered by the CI at this point (only centos has
--enabled-modules, but is missing the glib 2.64 requirements)

> Examples:
>
> fedora rawhide x86_64:
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/4945/87834945/build.log
> fedora rawhide aarch64:
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/4946/87834946/build.log
> fedora 35 x86_64:
> https://download.copr.fedorainfracloud.org/results/@virtmaint-sig/virt-preview/fedora-35-x86_64/04491978-qemu/builder-live.log.gz

Are you able to reproduce outside koji? I have been running the test
in a loop for a long while, not seeing any error.

> This is qemu v7.0.0 with some unrelated patches on top. /usr/bin/make -O
> -j5 V=1 VERBOSE=1 check
>
> Side question: I know I can patch meson.build to skip the test, or
> similar patch changes, but is there a non-patch way to skip specific tests?

"meson test" currently supports specifying the tests or subproject to
run, or using --suite / --no-suite SUITE.

(mtest2make.py creates convenience check-SUITE rules)

We could probably add a suite "dbus", and add the test(s) there, so
you could run "meson test --no-suite dbus".