qemu-devel

Re: Sad to see the advent calendar go

From: Eldon Stegall
Subject: Re: Sad to see the advent calendar go
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 19:07:13 +0000

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your interest in the calendar! I am not a regular QEMU
contributor, but I am a longtime user, and ran the calendar in 2020. I
also put out a submission request for the calendar this past year, but
there wasn't much response. The cost to host the calendar is trivial, we
just need to convert some of the sysadmin responsibilities, and that is
in progress.

As far as future calendars go, the effort to construct a new calendar
with novel, thematic content is substantial. Some of the difficulty lies
in the technical element, but a lot of it lies in the synthesis and
ideation.

In 2020 I had a number of community submissions, and good pointers,
but I also put in substantial effort, which I was capable of as a result
of a holiday sabbatical. This year was a little different.

I'm not sure if others in the community have the same perspective, but
that is my perspective, and I would be committed to the 2023 calendar if
folks were interested. I assembled some resources for the 2022 calendar,
but I think with a little more upfront planning, and some directed
request, I can coordinate a much better outcome for 2023.

Thanks,
Eldon