qemu-devel

Re: Target-dependent include path, why?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Target-dependent include path, why?
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 16:52:31 +0000

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 16:49, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/9/22 09:51, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> >> Because of where [pixman] is added as a dependency in meson.build.
> >
> > Is it added where it is for a reason, or is it accidental?
>
> Dependencies are usually added near the .c files that use them.  That's
> a bit messy of course if you have an "#include <>" in a heavily-included
> QEMU header.  You can consider it a way to discourage heavily-included
> headers.

This has always seemed to me to be a recipe for bugs that only
show up in the uncommon case of "some dependent library's
header files have been installed somewhere other than in
a system include directory". Is it possible to get meson to do
things the more standard way, where if a binary has a dependency
declared then the CFLAGS for that dependency get used for all
objects that go into it?

thanks
-- PMM