Re: [Qemu-discuss] Provisioning a vm using qemu

From: Fabiano Fidêncio
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Provisioning a vm using qemu
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 17:37:02 +0200

Paulo,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 5:15 PM Paulo Matos <pmatos@linki.tools> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With so many provisioning technologies out there I might be missing
> something, however I would appreciate suggestions here.
>
> For CI sakes, I would like to easily provision different OSes in
> different architectures using qemu. Docker won't provide the different
> archs and vagrant won't either. Qemu could potentially allow this.
> Manually you could follow something like this:
> https://gnu-linux.org/creating-a-qemu-system-image-and-working-with-it-using-ssh-login.html
>
> I am pretty sure I am not the first wanting something like this so I
> doubt there's no script or system out that that allows me to provision
> this quickly and get me a shell on the system.
>
> Any suggestions?

Although only tested with x86_64/i686 architectures, different systems
can be provisioned by latest virt-install (2.2.0) by simply doing:
`virt-install --install fedora30 --unattended profile=jeos,...`
This work was recently done on virt-install, relies on libosinfo &
osinfo-db (you'd need 1.5.0, and 20190611, respectively) to do the
unattended installations and improvements have to be done there in
order to properly test different architectures.

Cole, CC'ed here, may have a little bit more to add.

> --
> Paulo Matos

Best Regards,
--