Re: Guest OS becomes totally unresponsive when running on VMware

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Guest OS becomes totally unresponsive when running on VMware
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:39:35 +0000

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 13:43, Salvatore Mazzarino
<apocalipse89@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running QEMU v4.2.0 inside a Docker container. The Docker container runs
> on a VMware VM running Flatcar Linux OS with kernel version 5.4.92. It
> happens that the QEMU process starts to show up an high usage of CPU. The
> CPUs that the Qemu process uses go into saturation and the guest OS running
> by QEMU becomes totally unresponsive. Note that this issue does not occur
> when QEMU runs on a bare metal machine. It only happens when we have nested
> virtualization.

One hopefully-not-too hard thing you could do is test with
QEMU 5.2 and see if the bug is still present. (It might well
still be, but if it happens to be something we've fixed already
then you saved yourself a lot of debugging time :-))

thanks
-- PMM