Share host memory with a guest running no operating system

From: John Ramsden
Subject: Share host memory with a guest running no operating system
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:38:14 -0700

I'm attempting to share host memory with a guest running no operating system
using `-object
memory-backend-file,id=mem0,size=4G,mem-path=/dev/shm/qemu,share=on`. When I
try this using a guest with an operating system such as Ubuntu, I see my object
mem0 in `info mtree`, and I'm able to write to `/dev/shm/qemu` on the host and
read the changed memory on the VM - similar to this blog post (I am not the
author) https://blog.reds.ch/?p=1379. This doesn't seem to work when I have a
guest without an operating system, there is no `mem0` device. In case it's
relevant I am using an arm64 guest.

Do I need a guest operating system to use this feature?