Re: pci passhthrough device's pci mem cannot mapped

From: Jiatong Shen
Subject: Re: pci passhthrough device's pci mem cannot mapped
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 16:57:43 +0800

thank you very much for the reply.

in the end, I believe it is     `object_property_set_bool(OBJECT(cpu), "host-phys-bits", true, &error_abort);` in target/i386/host-cpu.c does the trick.. I can make
the passthrough device work if I specify `-cpu max,host-phys-bits=true` in qemu 4.2.0.

Thank you very much for the help.

Best Regards,
Jiatong Shen

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 6:58 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2023 at 06:51, Jiatong Shen <yshxxsjt715@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello community experts,
>
>   I am using a 4.2.0 versioned qemu and passthrough an A40 (48G GPU memory). When I start the virtual machine with following option "-m size=4096M,slots=2,maxmem=1T ", the virtual machine could boot but the in the VM I saw lspci failed to find bar1 and kernel message attached in the end of the mail.

> I tried 6.2.0 with the same options and it works without problem. So my question what might cause the problem and why. Thank you very much for help.

(I assume when you say "a 4.2.0 versioned qemu" you mean that
you're using version 4.2 of QEMU, not that you're using a
4.2-versioned machine type with a newer version of the QEMU
binary, given the command line that you say you're using.)

For problems of the form "this didn't work in QEMU version X,
but it does work in newer QEMU Y", the obvious guess is
"this was a bug, and we fixed it in the later version".
So if the newer version works for you I would recommend using
it -- 4.2 is now very old, and it's unlikely anybody will
be particularly interested in doing the work to try to figure
out what was going on in such an old version of QEMU, unless
you have a support contract with them...

thanks
-- PMM

--

Best Regards,