Re: I Failed to execute AARCH64 Linux kernel on the QEMU

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: I Failed to execute AARCH64 Linux kernel on the QEMU
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 13:05:40 +0000

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 at 12:12, Minjun Hong <nickeysgo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to execute AARCH64 Linux kernel on the QEMU.
>
> But,there was an error and the error log is:
>>
>> rom: requested regions overlap (rom bootloader. free=0x00000000422c0a00,
>> addr=0x0000000040000000)
>> qemu-system-aarch64: rom check and register reset failed
>

>  And my development environment is:
>>
>> host: x86_64 Ubuntu 18.04
>> linux kernel source version: v5.19
>> busybox version(for initramfs): 1_36_stable

You don't say what QEMU version you're using.

If it's the version from Ubuntu 18.04, that is now really
quite old, so I would start by trying a newer QEMU.

You should also use a newer Ubuntu, because (a) 18.04
is no longer supported as a build platform for current
QEMU and (b) 18.04 fell out of security support last year,
so you're already overdue to migrate away from it.

If nothing else, a newer QEMU has improved that particular
error message so it gives better detail about exactly
what binary blobs are overlapping and causing the problem.

thanks
-- PMM