kernel boot message not seen in -nographic mode

From: Hinko Kocevar
Subject: kernel boot message not seen in -nographic mode
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 17:24:18 +0200

Hi,

I would like to see all the kernel boot messages in -nographic mode so that I can scroll back and copy/paste them (not possible with SDL/GTK mode). I would also be happy if I can scroll back in the SDL / GTK window, TBH.

I do see the output in GTK window when running: 'qemu-system-i386 -kernel qemu/bzImage'.

I do not see any output at all when I run the qemu like this:

qemu-system-i386 -kernel qemu/bzImage -nographic -append "console=ttyS0"

I've tested the latter command with stock debian kernel and then it works as expected, but not with the kernel I'm interested in. I'm not sure what is the reason. Any ideas? Are there some options for qemu to provide more insight on where the output is going?

Thanks!
//hinko