Re: base format

From: lacsaP Patatetom
Subject: Re: base format
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:51:28 +0200

Le jeu. 25 avr. 2024 à 11:30, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> a écrit :
On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 09:55, lacsaP Patatetom <patatetom@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> when using `qemu-img create`, why do I have to specify the format of the base image ?
> can't `qemu-img` detect it itself ?

Image format detection isn't 100% reliable. Notably, a 'raw'
format image could in theory look like any of the other
image types if it happens to start with the right kind of data.

thanks
-- PMM

OK for the raw format, which can be anything, but not for the qcow2 format, which is standardized (header).
in the absence of details, `qemu-img` could use the qcow2 format by default ?

qemu-img create [-b base [-F (qcow2*|raw)]] [-f (qcow2*|raw)] image [size]