qemu-ppc

Re: AIX 7.2 guest, Windows 10 host, networking, qemu 6.0.50.

From: Daniel Henrique Barboza
Subject: Re: AIX 7.2 guest, Windows 10 host, networking, qemu 6.0.50.
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 19:04:41 -0300

Hi Paul,

I'm CC'ing the overall QEMU mailing list as well to increase the chance
of finding someone that runs QEMU on Windows.

On 6/21/22 13:00, Paul Dembry wrote:
I have AIX 7.2 installed and running fine however I cannot get any access to it
via my LAN. I have tried multiple variations of -netdev and -device, the AIX
system “sees” en0, but nothing more.

This is a working example of an AIX guest with network using the spapr-vlan
net device:

-M pseries,ic-mode=xics -cpu POWER9 -smp 2 \
-device spapr-vlan,netdev=net0,mac=52:54:00:49:53:14 \
-netdev tap,id=net0,helper=/usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper,br=virbr0 \
-device virtio-scsi,id=scsi0 \
-drive file=./disk.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-scsi0-0-0-0,format=qcow2,cache=none \
-device
scsi-hd,bus=scsi0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0-0-0-0,id=scsi0-0-0-0,bootindex=1

The examples I have found all use a linux host which I can use however when I
set up the bridge device, I lost LAN connectivity to my linux machine (ESXi
guest). What I want to accomplish is the AIX system appearing like any other
machine on my LAN with bi-directional connectivity. Failing that, it would be
ok if it spoke only to the Windows host because I could move files to/from the
Windows host and AIX guest. Has anyone been successful at this at doing this or
have any ideas of how I can accomplish this feat? This would be very handy
because my “real” AIX box does not have an HMC and so I cannot remote boot it.

I've never tried to run QEMU using Windows. I'll give a try when I have the
chance. I guess that one core difference is how you'll create the network
bridge for the guest.

Which command line did you use to create the AIX guest?

That fact that AIX 7.2 even comes up on qemu ppc64 is a tremendous achievement
😊!!

An even greater achievement would be to make it work under a Windows 10 host :D

Take care,

Daniel

Paul