qemu-stable

Re: Re: [PULL 0/6] Firmware/edk2 20231213 patches

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Re: [PULL 0/6] Firmware/edk2 20231213 patches
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:29:16 +0100

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 01:16:34PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> 15.01.2024 13:20, Gerd Hoffmann :
> >    Hi,
> >
> > > PS: when are we likely to be able to update to a proper released
> > > EDK2 ? Running with a git snapshot isn't ideal, so if we can
> > > move to an EDK2 release version within this QEMU cycle that would
> > > be nice.
> >
> > Next release should be tagged by end of February, so if the qemu 9.0
> > schedule is simliar to the 8.0 schedule this is before soft freeze
> > and an update should be no problem.
>
> So, should we pick this up for 8.2.1, or wait till next release of edk2 ?
>
> The thing here is that for (some) downstreams, edk2 is a separate package,
> so if qemu relies on changed edk2, it should be there before qemu-side
> changes can be added.  So if we pick this patchset up for 8.2.1, it might
> be a bit surprising for downstreams.

It's not that there changed something in the edk2 <-> qemu interfaces.
This build contains a workaround for the current shim.efi clusterf*ck.

The tl;dr version:  The build is compiled with the (very recently added)
PcdUninstallMemAttrProtocol=TRUE option to workaround a bug in shim.efi.

The extra long version:
    https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2023/12/uefi-nx-linux-boot/

Picking this up for 8.2.1 makes life easier for the downstreams which do
not do their own firmware builds but ship the qemu prebuilds instead.

take care,
  Gerd