Re: [Quilt-dev] distributing the files (was: [Quilt-cvs] quilt configure

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] distributing the files (was: [Quilt-cvs] quilt configure.ac quilt.changes)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:10:13 +0100

Hi Martin,

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 12:11, Martin Quinson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 07:39:29PM -0500, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > CVSROOT:    /cvsroot/quilt
> > Module name:        quilt
> > Branch:
> > Changes by: Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>    03/11/11 19:39:29
> >
> > Modified files:
> >     .              : configure.ac quilt.changes
> >
> > Log message:
> >     Bump version number to 0.29 (cvs tag VER_0_29).
>
> Just uploaded the resulting tar ball to the savannah server.
>
> I will try to get the resulting deb package into the debian servers shortly,
> but I have to wait a few more days so that the current version in unstable's
> debian archive gets old enough (while keeping bug free) to make its way to
> the testing archive.
>
> Andreas, if you have a rpm version laying around, could you upload it to the
> server, please ? (scp -1 $file savannah.nongnu.org:/upload/quilt/$version/).
> If you have to create the directory (no need for 0.29), you'll have to use
> sftp -1 savannah.nongnu.org
>
> In the same time, I'll update the list of scripts in po/Makefile and
> translate the missing strings to french. The best would be to use the same
> list for both ./Makefile and po/Makefile, but it would need to split the
> variable definition out of the ./Makefile to include those definitions in
> po/Makefile. That's a bigger change I do not trust myself to do since I'm
> not very familiar with your makefile...

Is there a problem with using the full list of commands and scripts?
`bash --dump-po-strings' seems to do the right thing ...

> I also have a bug openned against the debian package asking for a man page,
> and saying that the content of README changed to groff would be cool. But
> since this document is generated, I'm not sure of what the best solution is.
> I may do a perl script engroffing the README to make sure that the man page
> will keep uptodate, but it does not look trivial to do. Any better hint?

I think the best solution would be to write a short man page that gives
a very brief overview of what quilt is and how it works, and refers to
the paper, `quilt -h', and `quilt cmd -h'. Feel free to use text from
doc/main.tex for that. Parts of `Basic Concepts and Operation' appear
useful for that. The README file no longer explains any concepts
(because that is now covered by the paper), and could as well go away
IMHO.

I have once asked to move the script currently found in /usr/share/quilt
to /usr/lib/quilt, because they are really system dependent beacuse of
utility path names substituted in the scripts. How about that? I would
like to make that change soon.

Cheers,
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>