Re: [Quilt-dev] test suite improvements

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] test suite improvements
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:36:01 +0100

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 00:15, John Vandenberg wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden> wrote:
> > http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-0.43-patches-v3/find_patch_noset.diff
> > Removes what appears to be an unnecessary set in find_patch
> >
> > This detects whitespace in patchnames so that quilt doesn't try things it
> > can't handle, like "quilt push 'with spaces.diff'".
>
> thanks for the explanation.  I've been wondering what to do about
> patch names with spaces, as it will become more of an issue when OS X
> and/or Windows users are involved, esp. if they are given a GUI.  So,
> spaces are out, entirely; not going there?

I'm not even sure patch always properly deals with filenames that contain
whitespace.

The series file is one of the problems: it contains patch names and options;
currently we assume that whitespace separates patch names from options. There
are many pieces of code that assume that patch names contain no spaces, but
we could start fixing that all, set IFS to $'\n' globally for functions like
cat_series, etc. It won't be easy though. I don't see a sane way to support
newlines in filenames with bash, by the way.

> If so, I'll extend the patch params series to cater for this. i.e. the
> first error message should turn up in the new command, but presently
> it breaks silently:
>
> $ quilt new 'blah blah.diff'
> Patch blah is now on top

Ugly! That shouldn't be.