Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt mail broken with sed 3.02

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt mail broken with sed 3.02
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:16:12 +0000

Hi John,

John Vandenberg wrote:
> afaik quilt has not had a hard dependency on coreutils, except that
> mail uses GNU date and uniq features.  If possible, could we avoid
> this dependency as it is a very large package, or turn the error into
> a warning that mail wont work?

That would be great!  However, writing portable shell will *definitely*
slow things down noticably, not to mention the nightmare of winnowing out
all the little unportabilities.  According to quilt's `configure --help',
we use non-portable features of the following (effectively requiring the
coreutils version to be installed on many hosts):

  --with-cp               name of the cp executable to use
  --with-date             name of the date executable to use (use
                          --without-date to use an internal mechanism)
  --with-grep             name of the grep executable to use
  --with-tail             name of the tail executable to use
  --with-tr               name of the tr executable to use
  --with-column           name of the column executable to use (use
                          --without-column to use an internal mechanism)
  --with-mktemp           name of the mktemp executable to use (use
                          --without-mktemp to use an internal mechanism)

And these are scattered throughout the code :-(

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}